Tuesday 9 July 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn (43): Domestication: The Stable, From Design to Build

It needed to be spacious but small enough to be collapsed so that it would fit in my van.  It needed to be comfortable, warm and dry and small enough to leave the rest of the clearing as a garden.  It needed doors I could lock at night and ventilation that could be opened and closed.  It needed a lot of things and I set them all out in pencil drawn designs.  First working on the basic shape, (I tried a few fancy designs but it was only ever going to be a shape that was basically square with a simple triangle roof) I slowly added all the features as the plans grew more detailed and a ruler, a set square and scale were employed.  Now all I had to do was convert this idea into something real that was also easy to transport and assemble where it was needed.

I made a frame from MDF and walls and a roof of plywood before waterproofing the roof with the same stuff Randy had had on his hutch.  In essence I built a prefab stable I would be able to set up in the forest and later on back home when she was ready to come back too.  If she ever even would be that is.  It was very simple.  Six side parts - a bottom, three walls and two roof pieces each slotting into the frame.

A door completed it.  One like you might expect - two parts meeting in the middle and leaving enough room above for the unicorn to put her head over.  And it had a latch that was attached to the right hand door and lifted over to keep the other closed.  Bolts low down stopped the doors moving forward or back when this latch was on.  The windows were kind of similar.  There was one on each end with simple shutters like you sometimes see on houses (I seem to remember having them for Lego houses, if that helps) that could be locked open or shut. 

On the inside, I would cover the floor with hay that I would change every week, though it was already looking like it would probably be more often.  At one side was a trough that was divided into two sections and would be half full of water and half oats.  Porridge would be served, to begin with, when I made my visits.

I built the stable in my back garden first and practiced taking it apart and putting it back together again.  And then I tested it out, sleeping inside it when rain was forecast.  A whole storm, actually - the stable was smacked by fierce winds that did nothing but rattle it (a little too fiercely for my liking, I made a note to wedge out the slots with rubber piping).  Overall it was cold but dry so I insulated it a little more, gluing stuff to the inside of the walls when I rebuilt the stable in the clearing and I changed the shutters to the kind that are hinged at the top and can either be lifted right up and locked or only opened a little bit.  Much like glass windows.

Which I did the following weekend on my first visit to the clearing in quite a number of weeks.  I was worried it would have become a little too overgrown for my purposes but it was all as I had last seen it.  It took quite a while to carry and shunt all the parts to the clearing.  Once there it went up in a jiffy, I’d become quite a dab hand.  And I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much space was left about the clearing for the unicorn to move about in.  Quite a bit more than she would get at my house, which seemed a bit unfair. 

Then I began to fuss about getting it all ready.  I filled the trough with oats on one side and the imported tap water she would have to get used to for when I would take her to its source.  Finally I spread the softest hay all over the floor, building it up in one corner.  I kept moving it around and around, trying to get it perfect.  Over and over I shifted it about, moving through every arrangement I could think of and never knowing which was the best.  Looking back on it, it reminds me of my mother rushing about the house preparing it for visitors, desperately seeking to make the house ‘presentable’.  I always thought she looked real silly, mainly because the visitors were friends and family who I didn’t think would care how the damn house looked, but no doubt I looked just as silly that day in the clearing fussing about my crazy cause.

I kept at my daft shuffle until that good old mid-afternoon moment came around quite unexpectedly, a time I had felt a certain numbness at since stopping (even on weekdays I felt a tingle and a regret at this time, thinking about the attempt I had made the Saturday before and looking forward to the one I would be having a crack at next), when a unicorn nose nudged me in the small of the back and the other feeling returned.  That one of hope and expectation, full of nerves and excitement.  I closed my eyes and smiled broadly, the happiest I think I had ever been, and I clicked into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment