Tuesday 16 July 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (45) Domestication: Activities

I started with the introductions, getting the unicorn settled into her stable and starting a routine for porridge cooking.  Very soon I knew I needed to kick the second part of the domestication plan into practice. 

I didn't want it to be solely about reliance because I didn’t think it could be.  The unicorn was clearly a resourceful and independent being who didn't need me.  I could probably only convert her to stables and oats to a certain degree - maybe only create a fad.  I also needed to build up a new rapport with her.  To become friends based on each other.  More best friends than that weird flirtation and oneupmanship nonsense. 

I had done the groundwork with the introductions to the scheme, now I needed to work further toward the pay out.  I wanted to make her want to come with me.  Therefore we had to do stuff together.  I thought about trying the Sudoku again but doing it with her.  I figured the trust would have gone a little too much, though.  Instead I brainstormed a number of games and activities we might be able to play and do together.

I started with the slightly patronising ball.  Although, because I thought that, I never actually tried to make her fetch it.  Instead I would roll it to her, either across the grass or a stretch of the stable clear of hay.  And she would nudge it back with her nose if she was lying down or kick it if she was standing.  Or, if I was lucky, she would whack it with her horn.  And, boy, she could really smack it with that - it would come at me real quick.  That was quite fun.

While getting started with this simple game I was busy in the interim converting the Sudoku board.  Despite earlier thinking this a poor plan, I hadn't been able to get it out of my head.  I had decided to convert it to noughts and crosses.  Or rather, make it double sided by flipping it over and carving then painting the 3x3 open-sided grid and making larger pieces with an '0' or a 'x' carved onto them. 

The unicorn flinched when she first saw the board and started to grow agitated, unsure of what to do.  Until she noticed the larger pieces and different grid (which I had cunningly painted with thick white lines to make it stand out and be noticed).

We played that game quite a lot until she got tired of its short time span and repetitive nature.  So I had a rethink and created an Othello board instead - reducing the Sudoku grid and making 64 reversible pieces.  And that she did not tire of.  More and more it became the game that we would play while eating porridge and letting the fire burn down each evening.

Another activity involved decorating the stable.  I took different colour paints and borders and wallpapers as well as sponges and rollers and brushes.  After choosing a silver and purple colour scheme, and opting only for paints and glow in the dark stars to stick on the ceiling, which we painted very dark blue, I attached a roller to her horn and we were away, painting it inside and out.  She then shook the roller off, dipped the tip of her horn in the silver paint and drew a pattern on the walls.

There were some activities that were more for me than her.  Especially once I moved out there.  I took a battery operated record player out there, for instance, and played tunes during our Othello matches.  I also took a film projector and a screen out there.  It was one we had about the house as kids and I hadn't watched any of the reels for years.  It was all old cartoons - Goofy, Roadrunner, Mickey, Tom and Jerry, Marvin the Martian and so on.  She would sit with me and do nothing but stare.  I guess it was just a bit too weird.

There was a bit of a theme of re-hashing old plans as friends.  The epitomy of this was when I set up a train set - just a simple circle of trust.  She seemed to really enjoy watching it go round and round.  With this one, though, I was the one that got bored of it.  So I set up something more complicated with points and sidings and bits that made the train stop at stations.  I even laid down a track that ran cars on it.  She had even more fun with this one, pointing to where she wanted the train to go, making me scrabble about doing her bidding.

There were all sorts of things we did together.  A lot of the time we would just sit together in the hay or the grass - basking in the sun or cowering from the rain.  Otherwise we would be dancing manically, attempting to hula hoop and falling about laughing, trying to chip golf balls into mugs and smashing them to pieces, painting the trees, we cooked together once or twice, the unicorn doing all the stirring, arranging flowers from the clearing, her giving me instructions or suggestions as we built them up.  It was kind of cool the way we had to do most things together to make it work.  That really helped a lot.

And it all seemed to go better and better as we went along, both of us spending more and more time in the clearing as I started to get up earlier and go to bed later.

Until one night, after Othello, porridge and cocoa, the unicorn didn't want me to go.  She pulled at my sleeve and started to follow me once I had freed myself.  That was when I pitched camp in the clearing.  I even found a water source close by to keep myself there for longer.

That was when I found out for sure that she was sleeping in the clearing.  I had suspected that was the case, but had never seen her fall asleep before leaving or found her so in the morning.  Now she was certainly sleeping (and even shitting, keeping me on my toes) in the stable. 

Plus she was spending virtually all her time there, only wandering out of the clearing for a few minutes at a time.  Initially, as I have said, she only came to the clearing when I was there before.  Then she slowly started to get there before me.  But even so, she would either wander off before I left or disppear for an afternoon stroll.

It was all proving such a success that I felt it was time to try the second to last step in my glorious plan and fence her in.

No comments:

Post a Comment