Wednesday 10 July 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn (44): Domestication: Introductions

I felt that nudge and felt free again to do what I do.  I turned around and saw her quizzical and puzzled look, quite confused at this new sight.  And I clicked back into life and became a sort of salesman, trying to lead the unicorn in to a new place to eat, drink and sleep.

I felt like an estate agent, big reassuring smile and all pointy hand actions.  Doing my very best to sell the property’s best features to get me closer to closing the deal.  I gestured towards the stable’s features, showed her the insulation and how the shutters worked; demonstrated the softness of the hay and its ideal suitability as a place to rest her head; showed her the water and the oats, telling her how I would be about more often to keep them topped up and the hay fresh.

As with certain other plans, the unicorn seemed unsure about moving forward to see.  Her right front foot seemed to want to lift, her leg muscles kept tensing and relaxing as if deciding whether to go through with it.  Then this stopped and she looked about herself and, seeing the forest was still there, still close, the unicorn stepped forward and inside.

The first thing she did was to make a beeline for the oats for a reassuring chew.  In the mixed-up world I offered her, oats were the only constant.  Then she took a lap or two at the water and stopped to decide if the new tastes within it were any cop before taking in a little more.  And damn straight, too, this was the best tasting tap water in the country, after all, even more mineral-tastic than mineral water.

After that she turned to take in the rest of it.  Just looking around to start with, seeing how big it was and what it looked like once you were in.  Then she walked out of the stable and my heart leapt into my mouth.  But as I heard her walk around the outside, stopping to look more closely every so often, it began to drop back into place.  Finally clonking back when the unicorn re-entered and began to walk around the inside, first up to the trough end, then across to the far wall. Her way back was cut short, however, when she suddenly noticed the feel of the hay brushing up against her leg.

The unicorn’s nose was lowered to a taller pile and she felt the hay, rubbing cheek up against it.  Then a little went up her nose, tickled it and made her sneeze.  But she seemed to like this and giggled before nestling down in the hay for the first time.

I sat out in the clearing and watched as she lay down and enjoyed herself, wriggling her stomach about in the hay and blowing loose strands about.   After an hour or so, I went to the van to get the porridge.  It took an hour to get there, load the supplies into the cart and wheel it all to the clearing.  And she was still there, still cosy, still happy.

I built a fire and slowly made the porridge.  When the steam started to rise from the milk and filled the unicorn’s nostrils, she emerged from the stable.  The unicorn walked towards me and sat down on the other side of the cauldron just like she had for the ‘Mr Tumnus Plan’ and watched with interest as I busied myself with the porridge, working to get it just right.

Once cooked and cooled a little, I spooned us both a bowl and began to eat mine immediately. The unicorn was still a little cautious and watched me eat between sniffs and furtive glances at her own bowl.  When I had finished she seemed to become more satisfied and after again looking about at the forest surrounding us, the unicorn took her first taste of porridge.  Baring her teeth, her lowered her mouth and bit a taster of the oaty mush.  The unicorn then brought her head back up again and sat chewing the porridge.  She swallowed it, licked her lips, and her head dove back down to eat much more hungrily.  Within a minute she was nudging my arm for more.

And so it began.  And went on for many weeks, and months even.  At the start I came to the clearing both days at the weekend and then again at least two evenings during the week, rain or shine.  Upon my arrival for each visit the unicorn would not be there but she soon started to get to the clearing more quickly each time I was there. 

And every time I went out there I would top up the oats and water, change the hay and, on the weekend visits, make up some porridge.  The evening visits were always very quick in and out jobs and, sometimes, I wouldn’t even see the unicorn.

After about five weeks of this I decided it was all going so well that I quit my job and went out there full time.  I made a camp at the edge of the forest and drove the van in a little way to sleep in, had a fire close by each night.  It was only moved to get more supplies of either food for us both, or, most often, more water for the unicorn , she was a thirsty one.  And once I moved in, I made us both porridge each morning and evening.  And gradually she began to sleep in the stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment