Wednesday 23 March 2022

100 Words: In Delphi

Standing by a rock marking the world’s centre, I say, “If I were Paris, I’d have given you the apple.”  “With or without bribery?” you ask, smiling.  


Later, in the hotel, we make love as a mist rises to create a bubble around us.


Afterwards you bite into an apple, your hand rising to halt the juice flow.  I wonder if I’m in paradise, you say the whiteness of the room suggests so.

We wish to stay forever but we know it’s too expensive.  Our thoughts return to the rock and we agree this is the centre, our little bubble.



Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt (see here for other stories): 



PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Note: The picture reminded me of a poem I wrote and I thought I would adapt it for Friday Fictioneers.  Turns out it is 20 years to the day exactly since I started to write that first piece, which follows here:

"Standing by a rock marking the centre of the world"

Standing by a rock marking the centre of the world,
Each of us representing diff’rent centres ourselves.

"My love for you would fill the valley."
You look down and point out the valley’s not so big.

I smile and say I would have given you the apple.
We kiss.

Later, in the hotel, we make love as the
Rain rhythmically falls against our window,
Trying to disturb us and failing miserably,
It instead creates a waterfall from our balcony.

Afterwards we lay in each other’s arms,
Our hearts and lungs having come to rest,
We stare at the ceiling recollecting our thoughts.
The clouds set in but it’s OK because
It will create our own bubble and we have
Each other’s body to keep us warm.

You reach over for the apple and take a bite:
The crisp crunch and spray, your hand rising
To your chin to stop the juice flowing too far.
I wonder if I’m in paradise- you say the whiteness
Of the walls and sheets might just suggest so.
As always I want to stay just like this but
We both know it would get a bit too expensive.
Our thoughts return to the rock and we agree
This is the true centre, especially with the mist.

23/3, 18-20/9/2002, 15, 17/1/2003

9 comments:

  1. There's a lovely poetic feel to this. I really liked "Afterwards you bite into an apple, your hand rising to halt the juice flow. I wonder if I’m in paradise, you say the whiteness of the room suggests so."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, each time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice flow here, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some lovely images and ideas here. I like the bubble, the mist, the juice of the apple. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete