Sunday 17 February 2013

Myths of our Solar System (6): Aphrodite tempts Paris

I know what you want, you man of earth, of blood that rushes down and wants one thing.

And it is not land, useless land, full of people to rule. That is for your father, and after him
your brother and then his sons; but not you.

And it is not war. To fight, that is the lot of your brother also; and of the war pigs of this
land.

Hera and Athena know not what is at your heart, what you yearn for all day while you tend
the sheep in these fields.

You want that apple you hold made flesh, doubled and mounted. And somewhat larger
too, I would wager.

You want long, flowing, soft hair and smooth legs just as soft, and, in between, the sort of
wool that you would rather lay with and spend your days- that is the sort of field you would
like to plough and the sort of country you would like to rule.

Close your eyes and you will see Helen, the most beautiful mortal woman in the world.
Pick me and you shall have her, I can assure you of that. Even though she is married I
assure you that she will be yours, my boy.

Just pick me, Paris, and you can live out your fantasies.

Just pick me, she will be yours and you can live out your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment