Friday 22 February 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (4) The Unicorn and First “Contact”

She was nothing like the medieval writers had claimed.  No multi-coloured hybrid of lion, horse and buck was she.   The horn was the only part they got right, although there were certainly no elephants to pierce with it!  Neither was she anything like the cartoonish plastic abominations my sisters used to play with.

Though only the size of a pony, she was perfect in proportion, fine and elegant.  A sweet face, thin and a little stubby, jewelled with great blue eyes and crowned with a mane of white hair that formed a ridge down her neck.  Her coat was purest white, a tiny bit shaggy and seemed to shimmer a little whether she was in the shade of the forest or the rain or shine of her clearing. 

I watched her from my little tent on the edge of the clearing all day, just walking around, eating flowers and occasionally jumping about through the airborne rivers of dandelion seeds or chasing the cabbage white butterflies.  And I knew I was right to be here, to want to capture and tame this little angel.

After an hour or two of watching in wonderment I tentatively stepped out of the tent to see if capture and taming was even necessary.  I stood carefully while she was eating and turned toward me, moving forwards slowly and smoothly, watching her face for signs; she seemed to smile serenely to herself as she chewed thoughtfully.  The moment I began to outstretch my arm to stroke her, her head darted upwards and she looked at me for the first time. 

I froze solid.  Flipped up my hand to gesture safety; friendship.  But she neighed, in fear I think, turned and fled.

It seemed my plans would have to go into action.  I hoped against hope that she would be here every week.

Needless to say she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment