Friday 1 February 2013

250 Words: Paul Robinson's first goal for Tottenham Hotspur

"England's number one!" sang the Watford fans, referring to their goalkeeper.  The Spurs fans sang the same back much louder, defending the regular England keeper.  Forward and back this went- each set of fans putting forward their man’s case.  

Then, shortly after the hour mark, Robinson silenced the Watford fans and sent the Spurs fans crazy.  As he prepared to take a free-kick, 80 metres from the goal and way out on the touchline, I had a pessimistic moment and worried about the consequences should the kick fall short.  

But by the time it was taken, following a Watford substitution, I had forgotten this and watched the ball sail harmlessly through the air over everyone's heads.  

It was left for the keeper, who misjudged the bounce.  As the ball began its journey over his head, expectation mounted among the fans- we could see what would happen…

I began my celebrations before suddenly remembering who had taken the free kick.  At which point I began to celebrate all the harder.  As did the majority of the ground.  Like we had won The Cup.  The last time I witnessed such frantic celebration was after Nielsen's last minute winner at Wembley.

As a kid, my footballing dream was to throw the ball back.  As I got older, it became seeing a goalkeeper score.  Through a freak goal I‘ve got there.  And I shook with excitement for quite some time.  I saw the Spurs keeper score and I felt on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment