Tuesday 26 February 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (5) Poaching No 1

I grew up adoring Roald Dahl, so starting with his poaching ideas seemed the most logical place to begin. Though I had scared the unicorn off the week before, I felt the heavy-handed approach could wait another week or two while I attempted to poach her away.


It began with me testing my oats theory with a variation on The Sticky Hat method. I dug a small pit that I lined with a nose bag - the bottom filled with oats and the rim painted with glue. The pit was deep enough so that the unicorn’s eyes would be inside the bag as she ate, like with the chicken in the book.

When she entered the clearing, about three o’clock, it was on the far side from my little trap. She began to graze. Slowly she worked her way across the clearing, chomping away at the grass until she got a couple of feet from the oats and her nostrils started to itch and flicker. Her tongue started to reach out for the taste, new and sweet-smelling. She was drawn in quickly as if on a line and she was soon chewing.

The moment she started to chew, I entered the clearing myself with a rope to use as a leash and began to make my way to her. But, alas, my luck was out. I stepped on a twig and her head popped up out of the hole - nose bag and all, the rim sticking above her eyes as I had hoped.
The desired pheasant effect was not achieved, however. The unicorn did not relax, she shook her head, trying desperately to dislodge the bag and break free.

I stood stock still, feeling a little guilty for causing such distress, and not wanting to get whacked. This way and that she shook her head, her little ears flapping about wildly as the bag went nowhere, stuck snugly around her nuzzle.

Until she suddenly stopped the panic as if realising something and the bag slipped off her face, hitting the ground and spilling the remaining oats. The unicorn then snorted loudly before retreating back to the safety of the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment