Wednesday 27 February 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (6) Poaching No 2

I knew now the unicorn’s weakness. She clearly loved the new food I’d introduced her to as those oats that had been spilled the week before had since been hungrily snaffled up during the intervening week. The grass where they had fallen had been cleared and marks in the dirt where her lips had eagerly displaced it could still be seen. This keenly noted, I continued with my hands-free poaching attempts, ripping shamelessly from Roald Dahl.


But with no success. The Horse-hair Stopper had little effect. She saw the hair in with the oats and didn’t touch them. Indeed, she spat on them and ground them into the floor in disgust.

So I went for the big one - the Champion plan. I had little choice, really. Grinding horse tranquilisers to dust, I mixed them with the oats and placed the mixture in a pile on the ground. The unicorn was soon lapping it up and finished it off in under a minute.

The effects were soon seen as she began to stagger about all over the clearing before finally laying down in a groggy heap in the sun and falling asleep. I broke cover, pulling a cart behind me to transport her; my heart singing all the more as it was my birthday, this the perfect present; hearing the deep breathing of her sleep.

As I drew close, though, the singing ceased abruptedly. She sprang up and ran off as if she’d just been joking. Maybe I should have used more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment