Friday 8 August 2014

250 Words: Banishing the Nightmare

The final showdown came after several nights in which I got closer and closer to either snatching the creature out of the thin air or swatting it with dreamed up weapons.

Soon, though, I resolved that I could never get quick enough and that what was required was something more real and the following occurred:

I dreamed I was in bed trying to sleep.  I couldn’t regain sleep because something was scratching at the glass covering a print hanging above my chest of drawers.

I was once more confused about the sound I heard every night and slowly eased myself up to take a look.  As I caught sight of the creature, it stopped the scratching and turned to look at me.

This time, though, rather than look back at it, I summoned all the strength I had within me and moved my eyes, just my eyes, toward my bedroom door.  Curious, the creature looked across and so, before it had time to leap at me, I did; or started to at any rate.

I stood up on my bed, bringing the duvet with me so that as the creature sprang at me I was able to capture it.  The last thing I saw before I woke was its surprised face.

I woke up when I hit the floor on top of a duvet, under which was a writhing mound.  I took the cricket bat I’d left on the floor and bashed the mound until the writhing stopped.  Problem solved.



No comments:

Post a Comment