Saturday 9 August 2014

100 Words: The End of Roving Jack the Pirate Hunter

I travelled fastest when I travelled alone, roving and flitting between ports tracing my prey.  With a partner I’d be open to backstabbing, would waste time discussing decisions.  We could split up, sure, cover more ground, but I refer you to the 8th word of the last sentence.  

I had an assistant once, he felt like an anchor.

Until that day, of course.  Stranded upon a small island between Caribbean Isles, she found me wandering the beach despondent.  My life saved, I had to disclose my reasons for being there.

And now we are Jack and Jill: Roving Pirate Hunters.


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from both the written prompt ("He travels the fastest that travels alone," by Rudyard Kipling) and the following picture prompt:


Image courtesy of the British Library from Roving Jack the Pirate Hunter, published 1867, a romance

2 comments:

  1. I love the narrative voice you have created, especially in the opening paragraph. A great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be a pirate hunter, especially if Jill comes along!


    Enjoyed


    Ally :)

    ReplyDelete