Tuesday 13 August 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (53) Reunification, the Passage to the Final Era and its Beginning

My failure in taming the unicorn, though not entirely my own fault, meant a need to return to how it was always going to have to be.  To be in it for the fun of the chase.  A kind of chaste relationship.  Too wild to tame, we would have to be friends larking about.

If she would ever see me again.  This was worse than the worms had been, I believed.  It would surely take a lot.  Or so I thought.  I cooked up a whole apology routine only to find it was not needed at all.  The unicorn seemed to have forgotten the whole thing and we got back into the swing of things with a ball game that I steered out of the clearing and attempted to steer into the van.  After her eyes followed the ball into the prison van she rolled them and shook her head before trotting away.

And that was how it would always be.  Nothing I tried could ever succeed because I needed to drug her to do so - that was all that would ever work.  And the end result was to gain something unreal or something angry.  She would not ever be what I wanted her to be.

The once used and now empty stable in my garden was a constant reminder of this.  It riled so that I took an axe to it, as if it was to blame.  I chopped and chopped until splinters flew up into my hands.  Then I set fire to what was left, trying to forget with my family over for fireworks.

The house seemed to get larger and larger at this time, the eternal silence hissing annoyingly at me like a snake that was always close at hand but out of view.  And at work, my reasons for having left temporarily had not been forgotten and people would frequently ask how my quest was going. 

While wearing wide grins. 

And laughing.

That's when I started snapping.  First at home, at the silence and nothingness.  I would get suddenly very frustrated with it and start kicking things and throwing chairs whilst first shouting at it as if it were a person standing in the corner of the room and, later, while listening to angry music and muttering.

Then at work, finally biting back when things were said, retaliating in my own stuttering and confused way.  They only kept on laughing as I became like an angry little gnome, red in the face and comical to all but myself.

All the anger built up within and I found myself entering the clearing with all this baggage on my shoulders and I began to hurl it at the unicorn.

For example.  And this was an expensive plan to just piss about on.  Thus showing what a dick I became.  Anyway, one time when I was going 'off road' to explore the forest for places I could maybe trap the unicorn I stumbled across (quite literally) a river running through the forest.  I followed the river and found it eventually led out of the forest and under the road I parked by on each visit.  While walking along it to get back to the van I started to formulate a plan.

Many months later (or was it years? it certainly felt like years), a bitter man spent a whole day dragging a rowing boat along that river to the point where it was nearest to the clearing and left it close to the water's edge with half a bag of oats inside.

A week later and I led the unicorn to that place with a trail of oats and a promise of more.  She was happy to get into the boat, to let me offer her another new experience.  The unicorn looked about herself eagerly as I rowed her downstream.  At the river bank moving sedately past and the down into the clear water and the fish.

I only thought of when and how she would get away.  Would she steer the boat to the bank and jump sprightly out?  Or would she make it sink and walk away?  I thought of the laughing the next week and my mind became clouded.  I stopped rowing and began to rock the boat.  Just gently from side to side and then harder and harder with a horrible grin on my face, reflected by a look of worry and fear on the unicorn's.

Eventually I tipped the boat and we both fell in.  She got pissed and stormed off, flicking her wet, matted hair in disdain.  I just laughed, happy to have found a new way of dealing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment