Tuesday 6 August 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn (51): A few weeks of happiness ended violently…


The first evening was something of a scary start.  The very moment I opened the van doors she was pining for more porridge.  Whining and mewing and begging for more.  She would not stay in her stable. The unicorn kept constantly on my heels, rubbing her face against my calves or making pathetic noises to let me know she was there and that she wanted more.  She just followed me until I started to brew up some more. Only then did she give me space. 



I gave her another three bowls and she seemed happy, got very excited and bouncy, wanting to play.  I tried telling her it was getting late.  Tried calming her down with the ball which she energetically smacked over the garden fence.  Eventually she peaked and went to sleep in her new bed.



I myself went to bed tired and paranoid.  I lay awake for what seemed like an eternity worrying about how this was going.  What if I was creating an addict, a live-in horror, a slave to the drug I had forced into her system, myself the slave called upon to make more, to keep dishing it out, keeping her up.  I virtually made myself sick from worrying about it all.  It was surely all going to go horribly fucking wrong.  I loomed on the edge of a great abyss created by me waiting to fall and fall and fall wondering what it would sound like when I hit something.  Or she did.



Eventually I was waking up with the sun bright in my face.  I got up, dressed and went into the garden to find the unicorn of old happy and ready to greet me as she had been during the taming period I had spent in the forest.  I went inside.  Obediently she stayed outside. 



The night before I had gone inside to make her porridge only after a ten minute shouting-versus-neighing match about her not coming into the house: I had had to push the unicorn out of the kitchen door at least three times before she let me be and left of her own accord.  And that was only after I had given up and started to get the pans and the oats out whilst simultaneously letting forth a torrent of abuse (I was fortunate not to have any neighbours at that time). 



It would seem she had remembered something of the previous evening. 



I was much calmer as I made the porridge that morning.  My only outburst was one of laughter as I came to realise the porridge had acted as a spell rather than a drug.  Like a magical potion.  I giggled a lot at that thought.  It held me in good stead for several days.



***



And so the unicorn began to live contentedly in my back garden.  We began our new life together by playing ball again.  Whacking it back and forth up and down the garden.  And we went back to our Othello battles.  Which soon vied for place among other games once I taught her draughts and then chess (the pieces had wheels and a horn divot in the back to help them move).  Otherwise we would spend evenings and weekends just arsing around, blowing the seeds off dandelions and the like.  I left her to her own devices during the day.  In those first weeks I have next to no idea what she got up to.  Probably slept and munched on the oats I filled her trough up with each morning.



Everything was calm and bliss until the new neighbours and their dog arrived.  That was when she started to become a little antsy and curious as to what was beyond the garden.  The new smells and sounds woke up something inside her and I began to see evidence of her daytime activities. 



She would pull at anything that grew over or under the fence to start with.  Grapevines and creepers, ivy and whatever else I would find mangled and stripped naked on the lawn, leaves everywhere.  One day I came home to find her trying to get her front hooves onto the fence to help her peer over.  As I opened the back door she stopped suddenly and tried to look innocent.



That was all as the bits and pieces were moved in and the fella next door sorted out the garden.  Probably he was grateful of the unicorn's help.  If he even noticed it.  They are quite insular next door.  We have never spoken since the apologies. 



Once they were settled, their dog was brought from a friends or a home, I don't know, and released into the garden.  This sent the unicorn completely mad with curiosity.  She was positively bursting to see what had appeared to be her own special neighbour.  I should have told her or shown her in some way.  Not just left her to it.  Anything but left her bloody to it.



The first day I left them alone she began to ram the fence.  Repeatedly by all accounts.  Eventually, inevitably, it smashed and the unicorn was brought face to face with the rottweiler.  It snarled and it seethed and it charged toward her.



Up until then I guessed the unicorn had been happy to not use magic.  Or had forgotten it so completely that it didn't matter.  Suddenly, though, she needed it.  And couldn't use it.  Instead she could only spring up and out of the way of this vicious creature, too scared to fight against its teeth and claws. 



That was how I found her.  Only I was too late to save her from harm.  The unicorn had run out of energy and been bitten quite horribly on the leg and was lamely cowering as the rottweiler stood growling threateningly to finish her off if she tried anything else.



I rushed out quickly and quietly grabbing the mutt's collar and dragging it back home.  I received quite something of an apology.  I think the couple next door still believe their sweet-but-bad-tempered pooch broke down the fence.  They never seemed to notice how flustered I was nor the stable.  As I said, insular.



Then I ran back to my garden and began nursing procedures.


No comments:

Post a Comment