Wednesday 7 August 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn (52): ..and it all fell apart

To begin with she was a mess.  Understandable, of course, given the trauma she had suffered.  Attacked and savaged by an animal she hadn't known existed.

She lay in a heap, small and very still, as I nursed her towards full health.  Each day I would clean and dress her wound, a horrid gash down her calf, as she winced and moaned, small tears welling in her eyes.  She seemed to be in almost constant pain from the swelling of her leg (it had ballooned up to almost twice its size; I guess unicorns are allergic to dog saliva).  I crushed painkillers into her porridge to try and remedy this.  First with whatever I could find around the house before working up to ketamine.

When the swelling subsided, the pain passed and I stopped administering the drugs.  Her strength had already started to return from eating the replenishing porridge.  This, combined with the wooziness lifting, caused the unicorn to wake up.  Since the attack she had been as in a dream, disconnected and distant, somewhere other than there in the stable.  Now she returned to her full senses, seeing and understanding where I had brought her and all that that meant.  And she hated me for it.

She was still not fit enough to stand or do very much about her situation.  The wound was still quite open, the infection, though no longer causing her leg to swell, must still have been stopping it from healing.  Instead of fighting me, then, she began by ignoring me.  She refused to acknowledge my presence or anything I did for her.  She didn't even look at me, or not really, as I busied myself by changing her food, water, hay and bandages and clearing up her mess.  If I walked within her eyesight she reacted in no way at all, only continued to stare with glassy eyes dead through me. 

She soon tired of this, though, and of the silence once I stopped talking to her.  That was when she got nasty.  Snarling and spitting at me when I came in, not ceasing until I was gone again.  She let me change her bandage though and everything else, she just made darn sure it wasn't at all pleasant.  She even saved up her shit for when I had just mucked out. 

Her biting me was the last straw.  I sat inside, alone, knowing that what I had been striving for for so long was outside and the result was a bitter taste for us both.  I made a resolution to end it.  I would feed her the sugared porridge to sedate her and once she was better I would take her back to the forest.

The porridge certainly got rid of the nasty unicorn.  It made her forget her anger toward me completely and she became friendly towards me again.  We even played Othello once more.  And that just made me more depressed when I was away from her - I was interacting with a fake.  I started to spiral downwards.  I knew I had to release her but also that I could keep her in this state forever if I so chose.  To get what I wanted for once.

That was when the darker moments began, the moments that galvanised me into taking her back.  They were like a shadow that covers almost everything, leaving only the bare facts.  I want to believe it was a dream, it feels like one rather than a proper memory.  But, at night, when the real me was asleep, I would sneak out to the stable, having already slipped the unicorn sleeping pills, and gouge at the wound a little to prolong our time together.  As I say, I want to believe it never happened and hope to God it did not.

She did heal, though.  And quickly after the shadow had arrived.  I led her to the van as I had in the forest.

I let her go at the edge of the forest.  She darted away more quickly than I had ever seen her move.  I broke down in the lay-by and wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment