Wednesday 12 June 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn (36): The Animal Help Era, No 5: Schnizzelwort (Part Two)

The Helfenschwein reached up a hand (he had human-type hands rather than front hooves) before picking John up and gently placing the ‘helfen’ maus on his leaf.  He then stood, with some effort, and walked toward the magical waterfall.  As he approached the water began to gush out while Schinezzelwort levitated in order to shower the mud away. 

Once done, the water stopped completely and a plain brown, wizard’s style, robe appeared on Schnizzelwort’s body.  I’d like to say it hung elegantly down to his trotters but, in actual fact, it seemed to be clinging to the pig’s body for dear life.  Especially in the midriff area, and, as a consequence, only came down to his knees. 

Then Schnizzelwort floated across the mud pool towards myself and John and spoke for the first time: “Good day to you gentlemen and what can I do for you today?”

He sounded much posher than I had expected.  I’d been imagining a German accent but expecting Somerset. 

By the time he had finished speaking he was standing next to me, coming up to my shoulders.  As I explained my quest -cum-hobby he sat down, again with some effort, and beckoned me to sit down opposite.  John jumped up onto my back and came to rest on my shoulder.

“Quite a task you have set for yourself, young man,” Schnizzelwort informed me when I was done, “My master, a wizard named Astrid, tried for some time to tame a dragon.  It drove her a little mad, I’m sorry to report.  But only a little,” he smiled, “You seem stronger stock, though, my boy, much stronger to have gone on so long as you have.”

I thanked him and asked if there was any way he might be able to help.  “Possibly, maybe, I’m sure I could have done once.  A wonderful potion I could have made - to mesmerise, I think.  Easily I dare say.  But, alas, I am no longer able to help even myself.”  Schnizzelwort looked down and drummed his fingers wistfully on his stomach.  “I need all fours,” his hands turned very briefly to trotters, “to sniff out the constituents and my lazy bump prohibits such activity.  I would use magic but on myself it is forbidden.  Even now with my master long gone.  My apologies to you, young sirs.”

“Then I will help you also,” I told him firmly.

“Ein Helfermann, eh?” he said thoughtfully, “And how would one help me, prey tell?”

“Isn’t it obvious - an exercise regime!  Your diet,” I indicated the oak trees, “is probably healthy enough - you just eat too much of it and need to work some of it off.”

“Hmph,” was all Schnizzelwort could muster at first and he took quite a bit of convincing but convince him I did.  Ultimately he wanted to help himself and I think he was desperate to be helpful again as well, to have some sort of point to his life again.  Retirement just didn’t suit him.

I started to come out every morning and evening for a short run and to do some sit-ups with Schnizzelwort.  Gradually we did more and more until he was ready to also try a little sport.  For this we cleared Astrid’s garden, as Schnizzelwort called it, and first kicked a ball about before knocking a shuttlecock back and forth and finally, by playing Swingball™.  On the weekends we would go on a hike about the forest.  This meant I got to see the ancient wizard stones (unfortunately only wizards were allowed to use these), the haunted lake, the wizard’s council, and to explore the ruined houses of the other forest wizards.

It took two months to knock Schnizzelwort into shape and not once did I see the unicorn.  Everyday I thought of her and of abandoning Schnizzelwort to get back to my crackpot schemes.  John kept telling me of more animals that could help - trying to tempt me back to her.  Schnizzelwort, though, would talk the talk of the potion, what would go in it and how we would use it and this helped me keep true to my word and help the pig, ultimately to help myself.


Until, finally, the Helfenschwein’s hands became trotters, his robes (now not so full and seemingly longer) disappeared and he went down on all fours, proclaiming, “I can do it again!  I can walk au naturel!  It is marvellous, simply marvellous!  Thank you, thank you so much.  Now; let us begin!”

No comments:

Post a Comment