Friday 28 June 2013

250 Words: Customise your drink

Thus commanded the sign on the wall of the coffee house.  It was directly underneath a no smoking sign, which seemed an odd partnership to me at the time but isn’t really important now.  Although that latter order I could live with.  What was I supposed to do to appease the first demand?  I’d already bought and started my small white Americano and I had entered Gormenghast.  I couldn’t very well march back to the counter and say, “Oh I forgot, can I customise my drink?”  And I had nothing with me.  You can’t customise a drink with a book, a notepad and a pencil.  If anything, the staff should have forced me into selecting customisation condiments.  Or at least offered .  Customise my drink?  As if my life wasn’t complicated enough without these inane orders.  I’d a train to catch for one thing.  And I was concerned about the power Steerpike was gathering about him.  Horrid little upstart.  And I was with him all the way when he escaped the kitchen and scaled the ancient walls.  Now I feel quite bad for any respect I felt for him.  He wouldn’t customise his drink on demand.  He’d dispatch with his swordstick or plot to slowly bring down these tin coffee gods and end all their demands.  Customise my drink?  Whatever happened to free choice and the customer always being right?  I’ll have my coffee how it comes, thank you very much…. actually, I did choose to add  milk, didn’t I?

No comments:

Post a Comment