Monday 17 June 2013

250 Words: Last December

It all passed so quickly, and in such a haze, that I can’t quite remember what happened between us last December.  Though I know that at the end you were unnaturally cold, and that, for me, it was for no reason, none at all.  You were just distant from me all of a sudden.  Yet still in touch and still able to touch.  Especially that final night.

The root was in conversation, I can see that now: a new lack of communication.  We had stopped talking in bed and barely at all over breakfast or tea.  And we no longer reminisced, like our past had ceased to matter.  The rot had set in and it was only a matter of time before the end appeared.  But it was all so fast, so confusing.  To me everything seemed fine and I missed every sign because when you held me I felt we were invincible.

And then you dropped me.  No argument, no discussion.  I had just stopped being right for you, your new face told me.  It was like you put on a mask for it because a part of you didn’t want to.  That traitorous fool dropped me into fog and left me with a mountain of questions that cannot be answered.

Last December left me winded and lost.  Unable to carry on because I cannot see what went wrong.  I just know that the house is half empty and littered with the signs of the fallout after you left.

No comments:

Post a Comment