Monday 10 June 2013

250 Words: I am a warning

After receiving a fortune cookie message reading: "It may be that your sole purpose 
in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."

I am a warning, a hindrance to all.  Like a burning statue bearing witness and
helpfully passing on information, I stand naked, revealing the scars of my mistakes.  I serve humanity from a mound of earth in the middle of a roundabout at the
crossroads of life, advising on the paths people should take to avoid such pitfalls as
I entered on my way here so that they might arrive where they would like to be.  A bit
like a guidance counsellor, but with a degree from the University of Hard-Knocks.

It's a tiring job and I like to end each shift by relaxing in a soothing bath filled with
essential oils and minerals to cool my skin a bit after a long day’s burning.  The
dead bits soon flake away and I become new again.  Then I tend to sit down and
watch the good old goggle box or surf upon that Information Super Highway (well,
I do a round robin  and check a dozen or so sites for changes: I especially like the
wikipedia home page).

Sometimes I get out and catch a film or sit in the corner of, or outside, some
restaurant and enjoy a relaxing meal, watching those around me and wondering if
my life experiences can help them.

But what I really enjoy is the liquid refreshment that can accompany all of these
leisure pursuits and at any time of the year.  The hot brown drink from the pot.  Tea:
perfect for any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment