Tuesday 21 May 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (29) Wrestling I

I have no idea of the context of the conversation or anything much about it at all but it involved the need to wrestle a horse to the ground.  I remember thinking how humorous and ridiculous it sounded at the time.  The very idea seemed absurd, impossible even.  Now it sounded very useful indeed.

So I hit the clearing and laid down some oats to keep the unicorn occupied.  And then I cleared the area of stray twigs and dry leaves, anything that might make a noise to alert her to my presence.  Then I did what I spend most of my time doing.

I waited in the bushes.  By now the ground had grown accustomed to my ass.  A dent had been created by my weight and in it I would nestle and roost each week waiting to put a plan into action.  It was surprisingly cosy, actually.  Like Homer on his couch awaiting a new season, I would sit, crack into position, hugging my legs in anticipation, eyes alert, scrolling the scene for that first flash of white.

Which that day came soon after three, not long after I’d had an afternoon cup of tea.  She entered the clearing, her head held high until she found the clearing empty of contraptions when it dropped and she sat down dejected.

I cursed in my head - how had she not seen, or at least smelt, the oats?  Normally it would not take so long.  And then she sneezed a funny little sneeze and everything made sense. 

Thinking on my feet I picked up one of the twigs I’d hurled aside earlier and threw it towards the oats.  Hearing the small pat of the twig hitting the ground the unicorn turned around and perked up immediately on the sight of those oats, so delicious to her. 

Once her nose was buried I started to creep up on her, my eyes fixed on her behind, trying to spot any movement that might indicate she knew what I was up to while moving as silently as possible so as not to make her tail twitch.

Following a nervous and long couple of minutes I was in a position to pounce.  I paused, a little worried of what I was about to do, I didn’t want to shock her too much or hurt her in any way.  I remembered the first time I had seen her and had tried to approach her, how she had run on the moment I had put my hand out and how far I had come since then.  Then something inside took over and I just did it.

I dived at her middle, wrapping my arms around her and pushing the unicorn to the ground.  She resisted, of course, trying to push me off but I had caught her just right and sat on her, had her pinned as I took a rope from my waist and tried to gather her legs in to immobilise her - I had a cart waiting in the wings. 

She must have seen WWF before or something because right at the last second, just before she was to be bound, just when she looked defeated, the unicorn made her body convulse, a ripple running right across her torso, sending my sorry ass flying.

I composed myself quickly, turning and pulling myself to my knees in time to see the unicorn’s advance, head down slightly, a grin on her face.  I smiled back and prepared for her strike.

What followed was something akin to the metopes on display of the British Museum showing the fight between the lapiths and the centaurs but with a little of the playfulness and gentleness of lovers injected in that we both held back for fear of hurting the other.  Only a little, though - the unicorn was still ultimately fighting for her freedom and a certain grit determination remained in her eyes.

We tussled this way and that, moving one moment fluidly to gain the upper hand, the next jerking to get free of the other’s grip until I was suddenly on my back, my shoulders pinned to the ground by the unicorn’s hooves.

I held out my hands and said, “I submit,” smiling again as I had at the start of the fight proper.  I had to hand it to her, she’d beaten me fair and square.  All I could do was walk away defeated but energised by the exercise.

We did not wrestle again for a long time.  I wish that first time had been the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment