Sunday 12 May 2013

250 Words: On meeting someone new

Moments like this should be recorded for posterity to remind and allow for
reminiscence. Photographed for a frame or filmed; or perhaps shrink-wrapped for
the fridge or freeze-dried for storage.

It was one of those beautiful summer days that, unlike the following one, wasn’t so
hot that it stopped things happening. The sky was clear and a light wind took the
edge off the heat. We met in the museum’s library by the computer I was working
on. You breezed into the room wearing a patterned halter neck summer dress with
arms and shoulders painted by the sun.

You said hello as you saw me (or my back) sitting across the room. You thought I
was someone else, though, as you seemed taken aback by the end of your sentence
which didn‘t make sense to me. You asked me what I was doing, we had a brief
chat (I think I may have been a little curt, for which I apologise), exchanged names
and you left the room with the boards you’d come to collect.

That is all, nothing momentous, but it felt so good that I wrote it down just in case it
became important later on. I later found out you were engaged (now married) and
lived in Hampshire. Although that’s irrelevant really. The encounter felt almost like
a lucid dream and it made me realise that we so easily forget where things begin yet
they should be recorded clearly somewhere for us to view at our leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment