Friday 3 May 2013

250 Words: Paranoid on Dover beach

The pebbles started to hurt my arse once my packed lunch was finished. I had had
to gobble down like a gannet because of a seagull flying silently overhead like it was
gathering reconnaissance. It landed a few times too. I always forget how fucking
huge those things are with their dead eyes and huge hooked beak ready to take my
sandwiches neatly cut and prepared that morning. Or to slash at my hands and face
and gouge out my eyes should I refuse. Horrid beasts.

The school children are making me nervous too. Can’t they keep quiet? And
shouldn’t they be at school at this time on a Wednesday? It’s the screaming I can’t
stand. Girls mainly, like some sort of frightful mating call. Some of the silly bints are
paddling, presumably to see who fancies them enough to push them in, or pretend to
at least. Nasty specimens. Though I wish I had been more involved at that age. Or
lived by the sea.

One of them looked at me as I pulled out my bright orange flask. I got terribly
worried they might try and take it. Then I remembered I am not that age anymore. I
shouldn’t be so worried now. But in this day and age even the smoke coming from
a ferry funnel gets me worried. Is there a fire onboard? Will it explode? Which part
will land on me if it does? Seagulls and school children should be the least of my
worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment