Wednesday 15 May 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (28) The Cage, Episode Two

I spent the Sunday of that weekend sweeping the soil away and the grass and the plants I had covered the clearing with.  Carefully removing this artificial topsoil, putting it into wheelbarrows and scattering it like compost around the forest hoping it might nourish something, do some good.

By the end of that day I had a dirty clearing made up of flowers and grass flattened and mixed with dirt impossible to completely remove.  Before going home I carefully wheeled the cage bottom back to the roadside and transferred its little garden to create a new one by the roadside to greet me each week on my arrival.  I stored the cage bottom under some tarpaulin at the forest’s edge.  Ultimately I left the clearing that day in the hope that wind and time might help restore.

Which it did amazingly.  The clearing looked resplendent, had regenerated beautifully, the next weekend when I returned with the cage bottom and placed it, with the axe and four jacks, just outside the clearing before setting up a new pile of oats.  My plan now was to drop the cage onto the unicorn without the cage bottom.  That part of the plan had probably been flawed anyway.  The chances of the top falling in just the right place was extremely minimal.  Instead I would jack up two sides of the cage and gently slide the bottom under.  Again, this was risky as the unicorn was unlikely to play along.  If she refused to budge I had a load of tranquillisers ready to put her out.  I know that hadn’t worked before but I had more this time and was determined to make use of this goddamn cage after making the effort to build the darn thing. 

Around the same time as the previous week, the unicorn entered the clearing, and, pleased with its appearance, walked across to where the mound of oats was located, looking around for a moment or two before tucking in gleefully.  I exploded into action, bringing the axe into the air and then sliced through it and the rope.

The top half of the cage came down quickly with an almighty crash, the hollow bars ringing for a full thirty seconds as I approached to examine my caged friend.  She was a little shaken by the ringing, I think, and when she saw me, gathered herself quickly together and looked as blasé as ever, and awaited  my next move.

Which, as you know, was to raise the cage a little and slide its bottom underneath ready to take the unicorn home.  She watched me eagerly as I put the four car jacks into position, as if waiting for a trick.  All she got was me slowly raising up the cage by working each jack a little at a time until it was far enough off the ground.  Then I fetched the cage bottom and gently slid it under, removing each jack as I got to them, allowing the bottom to take the weight and sliding it along to the final position once all the jacks were out and locking it in place.  To my surprise, the unicorn was extremely willing to go along with all of this.  She simply stepped up onto the platform and continued watching me, waiting to see what I was to do.  Finally, I tied a rope onto one side of the cage and prepared to haul it home.

The moment the rope was taut she made her move.  Just as the wheels were about to turn the bars of the cage began to vibrate.  Only very slightly at first (but noticeable as the vibrations sent their waves up the rope), then more and more violent until I thought the cage might fall apart.  Fortunately it didn’t and the vibrations stopped.  I smiled a smug smile and turned to start the transportation again.

That’s when  I first heard the ringing of the bars, all the side bars, as they cried out.  Cried out because they were slowly and forcefully being twisted anti-clockwise until they first began to resemble the spiral pattern on galloping horse’s poles, lowering the cage’s roof a little, before cracking and ripping and tearing loose from the cage and falling to the clearing’s floor.

For a glittering and shiny half a second  I thought the unicorn had made a foolish error, that the top would fall and knock her out.  What a tit!  It was, of course, still hovering in midair and didn’t fall until she had walked out from under it on her way back into the forest.  Sometimes, though, I wish she would do that sort of thing a bit sooner and not leave me thinking it was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment