Wednesday 28 January 2015

100 Words (x2): Based on your preferences and What I have done

Based on my preferences, that intricate web of songs I have bought, or simply listened to, films, television programmes I have watched, organisations, people, poets, writers, actors, celebrities I have liked or re-tweeted... based on a list, cross-referenced with others, they have removed me from society as a threat.

In one night they took us all and brought us to a place where we would be together, yet completely apart- each of us receiving a cuboid of desolation in which to wonder why we never heeded the warnings.. while each of us, separately, learns to think and to love unconditionally.

*

As I crossed the platform I didn’t feel at all guilty for what I had done- neither in my conscience, or even in the legal sense.  As the planks creaked under my feet, warped from the strain of carrying the deeds of my forebears, I felt light despite the sound.

To think, and to love, unconditionally.  The rights things, the right people.  These are things I could learn but not things I could do.  Based on my preferences I found myself inside, away from society.  Inside, away from society, I became a threat to it.

I’ll smile when I hang.


Note: Based on your preferences was inspired by an article I read on the Guardian app about the Vinyl's difficult  comeback, written by John Harris.  In it, a manufacturer of vinyl who grew up in East Germany, when talking about Spotify, says that such mechanisms as the world wide web would have been the Stasi's wet dream, that a list of preferences might one day be used to label people as threats.  This idea, with added Nineteen Eighty-Four, created that.  What have I done was an idea going nowhere, so I turned it into a sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment