Monday 19 January 2015

100 Words: On the ship between the trains

On the ship between the trains, I thought about how we must be sailing right through Awdry’s imagined island; that, if it existed, we would rather be crossing it within a carriage that had a life of its own, pulled by an accident prone talking locomotive. 

Lost in dreams, I saw the southwest corner before me, my namesake, James, puffing along the mainline, whistling a greeting to us.  But, alas, it was not real, just a flight of fancy remembered from my formative years.

At Douglas I disembarked heavy of heart.  I was not looking forward to the return trip.


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from the following picture prompt:

 

3 comments:

  1. A Very Useful Story indeed!

    Gosh this took me back. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really conveyed the stream of consciousness (or "train" of thought, pun intended), of someone on a long and uninteresting trip. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete