Friday 6 February 2015

100 Words: Quick Dissolve

Niel moved the fur quilt aside, walked away from the bed, from her, and left the cabin they’d been sharing for… however long it’d been.

Outside, he looked around one last time at the beautiful scenes that surrounded them before they dissolved away, along with the plains, to pure white- the way the sky had been when the man had made his promise.

Niel went back inside, he wasn’t yet ready to let go of the entire construct. 

As he returned to her, Niel couldn’t believe he hadn’t realised sooner.  Furs backed with soft, simple tapestries- no such thing existed.


Written for 100 Word Challenge #412 on Velvet Verbosity; the prompt was the word Quilt.

An aside: As I went to blog, I didn't have a title but I did have a song in my head.  I took the title, Slow Dissolve, from the lyrics but then realised the dissolve didn't seem so slow here and changed it.  The song?  The Road by Simple Kid.

2 comments:

  1. This is intriguing . . . lots of backstory waiting to be written, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like the mood you set here.

    ReplyDelete