Wednesday 11 June 2014

The Old Man and the Tree

I had sought it out for years, ever since I had come across a reference to the tree at university.  I’d travelled extensively, scouring every continent more than once, hoping to finally track down the elusive boughs.  

Not an easy task, I can assure you, when the thing you seek has a tendency to move every few years.

Finally I had done it, though, the tree like no other (and I knew, I had memorised all the world’s trees) stood before me. 

And sat cross-legged at its bottom was an old man with a long beard.  He was stick thin this man, with papery, stretched skin.  As I approached he looked up at me and smiled, welcoming me and congratulating me on having found the tree.

Then his face turned dark and he began to talk.

“I know why you are here, I know what you seek, but heed my appearance and my words, boy.

“The fruit of this tree will grant you eternal life, surely, but this brand is a curse, I tell you, a living death.  

“You will never hunger again, for anything.  You will never again enjoy food or drink.

“You will always continue to grow old.  

“You will see so many you love grow old and die while you carry on.  

“Perhaps you thought to take fruit for family and friends.  I’m afraid you must needs bring them here and bid them eat, the tree will produce one piece of fruit for each who desires it.  

“But you must not bring more and you must not eat yourself, or you, and all else, will eventually become as me - a desiccated shell of a man, unable to do anything at all but sit and continue to sit for evermore.”

Well that put a dampener on everything.  Ruined the day somewhat, destroyed years of work.

He wasn’t finished, though…

“Don’t worry so, boy, it is not all doom and gloom.

“The Roman writer, Publilius Syrus, said, ‘You should go to a pear tree for pears, not to an elm.’  

“In his day, and perhaps in others, elms were used to support grapevines and, thus, you would not find a pear on an elm but you might find a grape nearby.

“Pears will give you cider or perry while grapes will give you a myriad of different wines and champagnes.  True, some may prefer the perry, but most, will probably go for wine.  

“And, if nothing else, wine costs more.  It is the superior option, grapes a much richer prize.

“Here, it is the same.  You have sought out this tree but you would be better off seeking another legendary tree - one that, in itself is nothing but a common tree, yet it stands by a pool, a pool with a better option - that will produce a better vintage of life, if you like.  In this case, please, you need to find the elm.”

I left him and have been searching for this pool ever since.  


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from the both the written prompt, "You should go to a pear tree for pears, not to an elm." - Publilius Syrus.  I also took extra inspiration from the Wikipedia entry for Elm, where I tried to discover their products and learned they had been used to support vines in Roman times.  The title was one I was saving for a longer story I have stored in my head but I felt it was too good not to use here.

5 comments:

  1. Really good. Well told and thought provoking. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not after the tree of life but the fountain of youth then. Not about where to look but what you should be looking for. Very good take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A typically unexpected end to a quest - beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the dialogue and the way you used it to convey information. Lyssa M x

    ReplyDelete