Sunday 8 June 2014

250 Words: My Holy Grail

No Holy Land trail for me, no tests researched in advance, no band of friends to help me along the way, no fellow knights.  There were competitors, mind, along the way.  Many, and fierce at times.  No everlasting life or anything afterward either.  Just completion.

Aah, completion- that word sounds so glorious to me.  The end of years searching and finding and buying until I had them all archived and preserved in my special room, finally together and with me, for me to study and for me to keep.

The day I found it started without much sleep.  I’d known of the possibilities and had lain in my Travelodge bed awake for most of the night trying not to jinx things, not daring to dream.  Consequently the morning passed in something of a daze.

I didn’t even go to the breakfast buffet I’d ordered the night before, I was so nervous.  Instead I stood stock still in the shower for ages, thoughts having ceased altogether for the moment.

I drove there.  

Upon arrival I started my automatic scan, walking around and looking for a likely-looking stand. 

My mind had become surprisingly sharp given my lack of sleep, though I remember little as auto-pilot had taken over.

I remember seeing it, my heart stopping, the anxious negotiations as I reached the price I could afford and the feeling as I walked, then drove, away to inspect it further.

And the pleasant, sound sleep that afternoon knowing that I had my grail.


No comments:

Post a Comment