Wednesday 4 June 2014

100 Words: Our sacrosanct place

Our sacrosanct place 

I have been back there, our hidden space- that hollow in the woods where we exclusively played, rain or shine.  The place under the “thatch” roof we kept our secrets, both physical and brain-stored; where we planned our futures.

Intricate with memories 

The air was practically laced with stories, each one with its own intricate details: the sweet store, the conker matches, the books read, the stories relayed, invented or pretended and acted out.

Nothing without us

And yet, without us, or rather without our childhood selves, it was nothing- just a big hole in the ground.  


Written for 100 Word Challenge #381 on Velvet Verbosity; the prompt was the word Place.  My first thought on seeing the prompt was a Haiku I wrote for the Unbound Blog and which started The (now pretty much defunct, though...) Haberdashery of Haikus.


1 comment:

  1. I love this! My best childhood friend and I were lucky enough to have had such a place.
    Good writing!

    ReplyDelete