Thursday 1 May 2014

250 Words: Obake (“something that is transformed”) 2: “animals with supernatural powers”

After receiving the powers all I had to do was reach my target and utilise them.  Which would be easier said than done for they had managed to put quite some distance between us during my adventures up to this point and it would take some time and effort to catch up. 

I began straight away by crossing the Great Swamps (no doubt they had had to go around), ever careful not to plant my feet in any of the mud puddles that would have sucked me down to the centre of the earth.

Then I ascended and descended the Border Mountains (no simple task for such as I), clambering over giant boulders aplenty and even scaling a vertical cliff.  And that was just the terrain- several times I nearly perished from the cold but, ever determined, I kept my limbs moving and never kept still long enough to freeze; all the time keeping my eventual prize in mind and wondering why I had not asked for more powers. 

At the foot of the mountains I asked for directions and found myself nearly there.  I skirted around the edge of three towns in the Riverlands before hitching a ride across the Largest Desert on a well-provisioned vehicle to a fourth.

There I did not speak the language but soon heard the fool drunk inside an inn, no doubt in the belief I would never catch up.  I went within and, to the vast surprise of the patrons, downed the mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment