Wednesday 2 April 2014

100 Words: Smack

SMACK! Oomph! Having driven the book trolley into a pillar, he muttered an apology and looked around sheepishly at the silent study students, hoping none were glaring daggers at him.  

They liked their silence these kids and he often worried they’d turn into monsters if he was too loud.  But that was too much Buffy talking.  “They’re just studious,” he told himself.

As he went to leave, a circle of them appeared from the dark baring their real teeth and nails; and he discovered how it felt to be stabbed by reptile claws, the leader hissing, “Silence in our library.”

Written for 100 Word Challenge #372 on Velvet Verbosity

Also: if any students are concerned I think they are repitilian monsters, don't worry for I do not.


3 comments:

  1. I had a bit of a Doctor Who moment reading that. "Silence will fall......in our library."

    Now I'm wondering if there's another reason why librarians are always shushing people....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I didn't think of that - and if it was down to The Silence, I wouldn't know, so maybe this is my mind's way of telling me something *slowly turns to look behind*

      Delete
  2. This makes me glad I'm not in school any longer. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete