Tuesday 5 March 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (7) Poaching No 3

It was all turning out harder than I thought it would be.  Having exhausted other ideas from Danny the Champion of the World, I tried to go it alone.  It was my only hope really, given that I didn't think tickling would work as well as it had for the Doctor with the trout.  So I tried my own simple but effective ways to poach the unicorn.

First I went back a step by trying to tempt the unicorn toward me with oats on my hand before leashing her.  My alien looks were not attractive to her, though, and she would not come near.  She did not run, though, which was a step forward.

The trail of oats leading to a box it would have to be then.  A box carpeted in the softest and warmest hay, well-hidden in foliage at the clearing’s edge and positioned on a cart with a ramp leading up to the door, also covered in soft, reassuring hay, naturally. 

And to my surprise, she went for it.  She almost stopped when her first foot met the ramp but she was enjoying the oats too much to really notice; just wandering purposefully on up, immersed in oaty goodness.  The strangeness and darkness of the box did nothing to deter, either.  She simply munched through the bowl of oats I had left her.

Once in, I dropped the front on her and carted the box to my van, being careful all the way to go slowly and not tip the cart up on the unsteady ground.  Once back, I loaded the box carefully into the back, closed the doors and turned around, a job well done.

I cursed loudly and she ran.  A heavier hand was clearly needed.  As was film technology.  And rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment