Monday 9 November 2020

Together and Apart

It seemed the perfect way to hide.  A botched robbery, ending in multiple deaths, led us there.  They seemed so genuine.


I could only ever see in one fixed direction and could do nothing else but silently think.  

They would pose us and play with us, leave us as if we were children sitting and playing.  We were completely at their mercy.  Alive and yet unalive.


As their collection grew, my hope died, my mind kept alive only by plans for revenge and by catching glimpses of her... 

But… 

eventually they died and we were scattered.  Then I fell away from this world.  

Decades wandering the rooms in my mind, memories and dreams re-lived, re-played, wound and bound together until I barely knew myself.  

Sometimes I wonder if this was the best prison.


One day I was suddenly seized, returned, carefully revived and locked away for my crimes.  


My love is still lost.  I gave a description but she was cloth, less hard wearing than me.  And I can’t go help find her.  This incarceration is better than the first, really, but sometimes I’m not entirely sure.  At least we had been together in that house of horrors. 




Written for 
Flash! Friday from the following picture prompt (we were also asked to add a Fire Element (include a dollmaker) or Ice Element (include a fugitive) and had a word count limit under 200 (no minimum).  


Changing role patterns. Haarlem, The Netherlands. CC photo by Nationaal Archief. Find the description here

No comments:

Post a Comment