Monday 26 October 2020

Untitled

The feeling of trepidation as we entered the house is the last thing I remember before it happened.  For a long time after everything was strange, more like living through distant memories half-remembered.


Until that day my father was more like a brother to me, his mind had been altered such in the war that he was more like a small child.  From his wheelchair we would delight in everything together as I ran alongside and my mother pushed him along.  


No one could ever explain it, how and why my husband suddenly returned.  If he knows, he has kept it to himself.  All I know is a light that had disappeared from his eyes returned and he saw me once more.  I think it was that place, though, somehow, those beautiful flowers.


As a child I believed in dragons that had been chased away from their home, settling and dying here, becoming pink flowers. That those flowers contained a magic that could unfog the mind and cure any ills.  

The final part of that dreamlike time I remember quite clearly.  My daughter, who I had never properly met, offered me one of those flowers.



Written for 
Flash! Friday from the following picture prompt (we were also asked to add a Fire Element (include an unexpected joy) or Ice Element (include an unexpected sorrow)) and had a word count limit of 185-195 words exactly.  


Woman Pushes a Wheelchair. Hitsujiyama Park, Japan. CC2.0 photo by Ajari.

No comments:

Post a Comment