Friday 2 October 2020

160 Words: The Pause

She leaned in and said, “Come here, Blessings, my child.  The Orisa are all with you this day.  None more so than Eshu.”  She pulled back and fixed me with an unknowable stare.  

My mother has always been known as the trickster in our family and it’s just like her to offer such a mysterious blessing.  Eshu, often mistranslated as satan for so long, is himself a trickster, but also a teacher, instructor, leader.  He has positive and negative energies.

Knowing my mother didn’t entirely approve of Tzain, I worried that she meant to curse us, to send me to his home full of concern.  That pause consumed me whole and took me so far from the bliss I’d been feeling that, before she broke it, I could see how both sides of the coin could benefit.  

“But only the good parts,” she concluded as her face broke in the biggest, cheekiest, smile, and I returned to the bliss renewed.



Written for 
Flash! Friday from the following picture prompt (we were also asked to add a Fire Element (include a mysterious blessing) or Ice Element (include a mysterious curse)) and had a word count limit of 150-160 Words.  

A Yoruba bride and mother. Photo by Fhadekhemmy


No comments:

Post a Comment