Friday 21 October 2016

100 Words: Colin; The Grouchy Cat?

“Colin’s a grouch, a mopey cat, pay him no mind,” I told them as Colin stood sulking by the door after I’d evicted him from his favourite armchair, his eyes staring accusingly through his grumpy face.

He didn’t get the reaction he wanted, though, as we cooed at his expression, “Aw, how sweet you are, Mr Grouchy!” our friend told him.

Colin glared up at her, turned and departed through the catflap as we laughed.

**

“Why do they talk down to me like that, like I’m a kitten, and always think I’m grumpy when I’m not? 

“Well, I am now.”


Written for the 100 Word Challenge on Thin Spiral Notebook; the prompt was the word, Grouch.

On Wednesday, when I wrote this, I wrote more of an "evil" cat ending.  Yesterday I decided that was a bit cliched and I wrote this ending this evening.  I found this one much harder and think the original may have been a bit better still.  

What do you think?

100 Words: Untitled

“Colin’s just a grouch, a mopey cat, pay him no mind,” I told them as Colin stood sulking by the door after I’d evicted him from his favourite armchair, his eyes staring accusingly through his grumpy face.

He didn’t get the reaction he wanted, though, as we cooed at his expression, “Aw, how sweet you are, Mr Grouchy!” our friend told him.

Colin glared up at her, turned and departed through the catflap as we laughed.

**

“These humans will one day pay for their insolence,” Colin thought as he found the warm spot outside the kitchen, “Pay very dearly indeed.”

2 comments:

  1. I have three cats, and the oldest is definitely grumpy... and a little homicidal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya Colin. Ain't that just the way? I'm rarely grouchy 'til somebody calls me grouchy. I'm usually okay until somebody asks me if I'm okay.

    ReplyDelete