Wednesday 12 October 2016

100 Words: Not enough light

I went to investigate with an oil lamp that cast a flickering halo of light- all the snapping, shuffling and animal whining occurring beyond its limit, leading me ever further on; away.

I thought I was saving a dying creature, my ears guiding as I watched the aura of light that alerted me to the dangers immediately ahead and causing me to lose track of where I was so that, when I heard my daughter call, I could only run blindly back until I flooded the hut with light and found her missing.


That is when I became a monster.



Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt:

PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields 
 PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields


Since exchanging some tweets a couple of years ago now, myself and some fellow Librarians have been writing and producing a podcast set in a strange University Library; well, Librarynth.  

The first episode is available to listen to now on Soundcloud.  there you will find Mrs Strangeways, Lara the Lost Library Assistant and Eddie Roam the reindeer that provide wifi, among others..


3 comments:

  1. very compelling little story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gods! I'd become a monster too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I like how you take the reader along with you in that little circle of light with the sounds outside it - very convincingly described.

    ReplyDelete