Tuesday 8 September 2015

Mask

I have never worn a physical mask to hide my face and features.  And neither have I ever worn my true face.  Or shown my true feelings.

I despise humanity, I would love to see it fade back into its own filth, I rue the day I was thrust into this jumped-up primordial dust.  If my finger was on “the button,” I would not hesitate to press it firmly and decisively.

Yet I walk the world smiling, gracious and charming; no one would know of my secret sneer. my disdain of all of “creation”. 

I attend work, perform diligently and with due purpose, even sometimes going beyond my remit; I sit at pub bars and talk to the staff, to fellow drinkers too, as if I were one of them; I married and had children as if I were just like anybody else (easily the most difficult role I have played). 

All the while dreaming of society’s rot and decay; all as I wait to unveil my true self.  I smile inside thinking about it, that day when I will shock everybody I know by revealing my true being.  When I reduce them all with my words, send them snivelling away ashamed to be human.  Turn them into the grovelling dogs I know them to be.

And that’s when I will break the seal and send us all to hell.


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from the following picture prompt and the written prompt, from Oscar Wilde: "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.  Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

 
Courtesy of WikiMedia creative commons

No comments:

Post a Comment