Wednesday 5 March 2014

250 Words: The Merlion (Part Three)

“You’re lonely, aren’t you, Mr Merlion?  You need a friend to patrol our waters with.  And, I think, a girl Merlion.”

“Yes, young one, you are most correct.  I have grown so lonely out in the sea.  I really enjoy my work, my role here, but it… it’s not enough anymore when once it was.”

“I see.  But what can we do to help?  We learned in school that you are the only one.”

“That’s what they say.  I was raised here by the zoo keeper.  A most kind father to me.  Once I got too big I went out to sea and started to patrol.  He always told that I‘m the only one, that I am Singapore’s miracle creature.  

“But I’ve always suspected otherwise.  I have the dimmest, most vague memories of being with others.  More like dreams than memories, really.  Those dreams.. or memories… are so vivid.  And the keeper always flinched a little when I spoke of other Merlions, you know, and he has gotten more awkward in my presence recently.”

“Alright.  He sounds like a good place to start.  I’ll go find some people to come and cut this bedraggled mess away.  Have hope, Mr Merlion, and keep your locks from growing back while I go to see the zoo keeper.”

“Thank you, boy, thank you.  I shall try.”

So the small boy organised the Merlion’s haircut, hopefully the last of such magnitude, and went to talk to the man who knew of the Merlion’s beginnings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment