Saturday 9 November 2013

250 Words: Week off

Annoyingly I had several ideas (well, two for three weeks) but not enough time to work on them properly.  One is born of Heroes- an idea dreamed up just before the new series*; and one that overlaps with it slightly- at least I thought, “Balls,” during Episode 1; rightly or wrongly.  The other comes from a painting I saw last Tuesday, though the theme goes back further.

And so it’s a verified week off.  Naught but the story of a lamb lost on a heath.  Through a gap in the fence caused by naughty children it crept, off to find its way it went.

Soon, however, a mist came down and the lamb got wet and shivery and knew not where to go or what to do.  And the lamb wandered, hearing howls and hoots as the night wore on and it began to miss the stable and its warm hay.

“Sometimes it’s better not to take the chances offered to us, I guess,” the lamb decided while settling into a divot in the ground for the night.  “Some thought, some advice may be required.”

After a quick dream of home, a friendly badger came and guided the lamb back to the farm and a tearful reunion with its family.  Never again would the lamb stray beyond the borders set in place.

Then either:

a) it was slaughtered for eating soon after

or

b) it grew up to live a long and productive life.

You choose.  It’s my week off.




*I wrote these things years ago; Couple No 7 is, I think, the what I'm referring to here.  Not sure what the painting was.

No comments:

Post a Comment