Tuesday 10 May 2016

100 Words: Down at the bottom of the garden

They came to me in the garden, the ghosts.

They told me that they knew, those ghosts.

They told me that they knew those ghosts.

The ghosts of the people I had killed.

I shrugged, told them they were just my conscience; and that I buried my conscience that night too.

The ghosts raised their eyebrows, smiled.

Something began to stir in the new flowerbeds.

I screamed and I panicked, tried to push down the rising soil, stop the evidence coming up behind.


My neighbours heard the scream,

saw me scrabbling in the dirt,

saw a hand,

called the police.


Written for the 100 Word Challenge on Thin Spiral Notebook; the prompt was the word, Garden.

1 comment:

  1. I may never look at my flower garden the same again.

    ReplyDelete