Wednesday 11 May 2016

100 Words: The Crown

My earliest memory of The City is an evening boat ride across The Harbour.  I remember seeing what turned out to be The Stadium.  At the time, though, with the way it was lit up, my young mind saw a crown. 

A giant crown that if I grew big enough, as big as I believed The King was, I would wear it at My Coronation and rule over The Country; leaving The Crown to rest there, reminding people of my power. 


Having forgotten for years, it suddenly hit me as I watched The Game. 

They were playing inside My Crown!



Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt:

PHOTO PROMPT © CEAYR 


My first Friday Fictioneers for nearly three months (and 42nd overall), and I have to say it's great to be back.  When I was a boy, on one of my first visits to London, I was taken to the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green.  We walked (I think, we may have caught a bus) back to Liverpool Street Station and, seeing the sign, I really thought that we had travelled all the way to Liverpool, that we were no longer in London.  As in the story, it was sometime before I fully realised my mistake; discovering not just that Liverpool Street is a station in London but that Liverpool is really quite a long way away.  Certainly too far to get to so quickly.


4 comments:

  1. Well, what do you know? Pretty neat little story there. loved it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice take! Enjoyed the read

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's very imaginative. i like it

    http://obliqview.blogspot.in/2016/05/the-game-prompt-ceayr-thats-our-world.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great, you describe the thoughts of the confused child so well. Everything is so huge. The City, The Game...

    ReplyDelete