Friday 24 March 2023

100 Words: Don't Wait. Do.

Sometimes it felt as if I had been dealt nothing but Jokers.  No cards of use had ever fallen into my lap.  I waited.  And waited.  But waiting won’t do.  Something the naive and privileged don’t realise.  They expect.  I checked myself, I don’t expect kudos, I learned and I did.  I stood and I built and I grew.  I struggled and came through as most people have to do.  But once, and sometimes I think about this and it makes me feel sick, I just thought things would happen.  That life was a simple game to play.  It’s not.



Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt (see here for other stories): 


PHOTO PROMPT © Liz Young

Initial Idea: Trumps was our game.  7 cards in the first hand, then working down to 1.  One suit the trump, the leading card next most powerful, highest card put down wins.  So many rainy days passed this way.

Four of us then, siblings growing together finding ways through the long holidays and weekends.  Monopoly was another favourite.  And Cluedo, Buccaneer, other card games.  Sometimes a board games olympics.  


Now it is Solitaire all the way.  And mostly on my phone.  Can’t quite bear to get out the physical cards anymore.


2 comments:

  1. "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." I used to have a matchbook cover that said, "Time brings everything to those who wait." As Maury Povich says, "That was a lie."

    ReplyDelete