Monday 1 December 2014

100 Words: The magic of the library

Take a detour past the sleeping cyclist and enter the modern library.  It’s built on the same foundations as the old, and retains its vaults.  New and unassuming on the outside, it’s a cavern of wonders underneath.

But only whispers and rumours I know.  I was there as a work experience student but was not one of the lucky ones.  Another is still there, smug in his magical admin work. 

Every week I attempt a new ruse to admit myself.  Posing as a magical folk, a new way to sneak.  But I will never succeed, such places aren’t for me.

*

Take a detour past the sleeping cyclist and enter the modern library.  It’s built on the same foundations as the old one and retains its vaults.  New and unassuming on the outside, it’s a cavern of wonders underneath.

It was here, as a work experience student, I first entered the secret world of wizards that exists alongside ours.  In Europe, the Middle East and Asia (the Old World) these places are often either far grander or embedded within ancient hills.  Over here they are now often hidden below modern buildings. 

It’s here that magical wonders are created; and catastrophes avoided.

*

“Take a detour past the sleeping cyclist to the modern library,” I was told.  “For it’s built on the foundations of the old one, retaining its cellars and vaults.  New and unassuming from here, it contains a cavern of wonders underneath.”

So I was told. 

I never got that far. 

The chap on the desk misunderstood when I asked him how to locate the magic of the library.  “Well, for me,” he began, “It’s in fiction under ‘P;’” before proceeding to lead me there.

Minutes later I was leaving with Gormenghast tucked under my arm. 

I’ve never looked back.



Note: A bit of cheating this week through writing three similar stories as ideas evolved in my mind.  The last, though partially inspired by my own love of Gormenghast, was inspired Love Letter to Libraries: Chris Riddell on the Guardian Website.

Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt:



PHOTO PROMPT - Copyright - Randy Mazie 

No comments:

Post a Comment