Friday 19 December 2014

100 Words: Green flashes amongst the grey (Ideas 1 & 2)

Green flashes amongst the grey raise my head and my spirits.  I smile, my heart lifting a little, as I continue onward towards my wife’s grave.

I pause briefly, standing tall over her headstone, as I once did her own head, thinking of how I would look down into her beautiful eyes, before crouching to lay flowers.  Then I sit and talk, tell her about my week, about work, our families and friends; drinking tea together, often the precursor and underlay of our conversations. 

Then I leave, looking out again for the parakeets.

Next week I’ll tell her about her.


**

Green flashes amongst the grey raised my head and my spirits.  I stopped, smiling up at the bright invaders of an often grisly space.  I’d always liked it, though, hence why I always walked through it, even though doing so lengthened most journeys.

Looking down again I noticed the door to the chapel was open.  A man and a woman, each in Victorian dress, stood in the doorway beckoning me forth.

Only once inside did I notice the cold; and realise I didn’t know how I’d got there.

I’d been downtown... 

A man stepped forward and asked me my plans. 


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from the following picture prompt:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment