Monday 20 October 2014

100 Words: A Fear of Security

I used to shoplift out of necessity.  Before my eventual capture, imprisonment, and retraining, I sometimes set off alarms before running very quickly.

Now, as then, I’ve a fear of security gates- those tall thin sentinels still make my heart race, send shivers through me and make me sweat.  Even at the library, my books checked out and passed around, I still fear I’ll need to run, I still adopt a veneer of innocence.

These days, though, as I get older, I have the added fear that if I should set it off somehow, it’ll give me a heart attack.


Written for the Light and Shade Challenge from the following picture prompt:

 

Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons, taken by AlejandroLinaresGarcia and shared under Creative Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment