Sunday 8 December 2013

250 Words: The 10 hardy souls

We had been flying happily through the Kent countryside on our ways home.  I had been reading Watchmen.  Then everything came to a standstill.  Ice further up the tracks had crippled another and a de-icer train could do nothing.  After standing before a signal for almost an hour we were forced to go backwards to Borough Green & Wrotham.  I took the news as a cue to urinate.  I would be glad I did.

We got to Borough Green at about one and were told buses were on the way.  Some people got lifts, about 100 people were left to wait in the freezing cold.

Before long the taxi companies found out about our plight and began to turn up in their droves picking off people in groups and ferrying them away.  As the night ticked by, more and more gave up and paid up.  10 hardy souls, however, stuck it out.  One rang customer services to find out where we stood.  Advised to take taxis home, our hero pointed out we had no money and even began negotiations to have Southeastern pay for taxis home. 

Eventually the taxis stopped coming and cold took hold of my feet.  So I started to walk about quite a bit.  I started to think that we’d be there until the next train when, at 2:35, a big yellow bus arrived like a flaming torch of hope in a dark cave of despair and the hour and a half journey home to bed began.

No comments:

Post a Comment