Thursday 17 January 2013

250 Words: Crush on a colleague

Please don't touch me lightly on the shoulder or wheel into my office on your chair and fix me with an intent stare as you squeeze me for the details of the news you’ve heard I have.

Because all it does is encourage me, stupid as it may sound and as retarded as it is: without knowing it, you are sowing seeds that could result in red tulips and ugliness.

Please don't ask me how I am when my eyes are looking weary, don't say nice things about me or brew tea and make me take extra biscuits.  Please don't treat me so kindly and so generously.  

Because I'll have us married in my head.  I'll dream of holding your hand and I'll want to give you red carnations knowing I'll receive only striped ones in return.

Please don't wear short-cut or figure hugging clothes; boots with skirts and shirts.  Don't bend over in any way in my presence.  Don't laugh at what I say and please don't smell quite so dreamy.  

Because it will only make me want to disrespect you and I don't want to think of you in that way.  Trying not to while wanting is near impossible.  

And you are older and married.  Untouchable and unknowable.  Nothing can happen.

Therefore please pay me no mind, keep a more definite barrier between you and I.  And, Lord forbid, please do not push me off a wall.  I cannot fall like that again - I don't have the strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment