Monday 28 January 2013

250 Words: The Haberdashery of Thoughts and Ideas (4)

It did not take long. Upon each flask was a small label containing a name and a date. After looking at a few I saw that they were ordered in alphabetical order of surname and before long I was picking up the flask with not just my name but that day’s date. I returned to the back counter with it.

“If that is for you then you will find inspiration within. I am certain it is from the look on your face but, if not then there will be some strange side effects I am led to believe.”

“How much is it?”

“Take it, it is yours. No charge- the books and other ventures keep us going, this is just a little project the Wizard set up to help the world along a bit.”

I thanked him, perhaps a bit too much given that I did not know if it would work at that point. It was just that I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing- the strangeness, the coincidence, the fact my name and that day’s date were on the flask that I took back to my car with me.

*

It was dark when I got home; I was scalded for being late for dinner. After I bolted it down and had a cursory chat with my wife I took the flask to my study and drained its contents.

Nothing happened at first other than feeling a little bit lightheaded. Once this faded, though, I began to write…

No comments:

Post a Comment