Wednesday 3 April 2013

Attempts to Capture and Tame a Unicorn: (16) Tracking for Reconnaissance

Before the flirting I wanted to find out more, stay at peace, keep the ceasefire active for a bit while I found it in me to attack again.  My need to tame her was still as alive as ever but my confidence was shaken by those great worms.  So I took a day off work in the week to do some reconnaissance - to try and discover something about this unicorn to help with said proceedings.  Was she part of a herd, for instance?  where did she live, exactly?  and how old was she?  was she still a foal or was she fully grown?

I left my van with a rucksack containing my lunch, some maps, biscuits and flasks of tea and coffee, and headed for the clearing first.  Here I breaked for a spot of morning coffee - washing down some tasty biscuits, shortbread I believe they were.  Then I went in the direction the unicorn normally left in and started looking for signs of her.  I hoped that she might have bumped into some trees and/or left hairs in bushes after the ordeal with the quagmire… though she had left in quite a calm manner so I knew it might be in vain.  Quickly, however, I started to find these signs - first on the trunk of a tree then in some thistles - she must have got clear of me and started to run home.  She must have left restrained and dignified, not calm from shock.  Excited, perhaps for the wrong reasons, I kept on.

On past the holly, the ivy on the willow by the stream, across whose rocks I slipped and stumbled toward the oaks, up a hill of bracken toward the forest of tall trees I didn't recognise but seemed familiar where I stopped for lunch: a scotch egg, turkey sandwiches, smokey bacon crisps, fruit cake and a hazelnut yoghurt washed down with the first half of my flask of tea.  I would remember this so well because, for a while, I thought it would be the last meal I ever ate. 

After lunch I continued onward through the woods and until afternoon tea it went much as the morning had.  Clues of hair and hoof prints by rocks, on tree trunks, in bushes and so on appeared to me and onward I trudged.  On and on I walked, happy I was getting somewhere, that eventually I would see the unicorn herself.

And then, while drinking tea and eating chocolate digestives, I realised I had eaten lunch in the same spot.  Five minutes later I went by a disturbingly familiar oak.  And then I found my own tracks on a path through some undergrowth that I had made earlier in the day.  I was going in fucking CIRCLES.  Bugger.  Well, it was just one circle at that point but I was starting to panic and half an hour later I was back on bracken hill for the frigging fourth time, shortly before slipping on the same damn stream rocks for the third time, this time losing my balance and the maps I'd forgotten I even had.  Standing up red-faced and soaked to the bone, I realised I was really in the shit now, starting to picture myself half-friezing, half-starving to death or stumbling into the web of a giant spider.  And, worse still, it was beginning it was to get dark.  And I had no dinner, no way to get dry and no night provisions.  I began to scramble madly about hoping to find some shelter, forgetting about the unicorn entirely and starting to get paranoid over every sound that came rattling through the trees.  Naturally they were the same sounds I'd been hearing all day and in the clearing for months but they sounded pretty bloody fearsome by then, believe me.  Like lions and tigers and stuff.  So it was some relief when I found a cave.  Inside I went, curled up and waited for morning, too dejected and gloomy to do anything sensible.  Content instead to shiver and bemoan my fate.

It was two hours before I noticed the unicorn hair glittering at my foot, beside me and all round me.  Two hours of jittering fear, uncontrollable shuddering and flinching at every sound, every branch movement, every change in the moonlight.  The hair relaxed me instantly and I soon found the mossy bed to fall asleep on.

Damn pity I didn't have enough sense or wits about me to check further back in the cave because I woke up in the back of my van, naked and wrapped in straw, my clothes drying out beside me.

I guessed it was time to get back to the games in our little amphitheatre, that was where my bread would be won, after all, and forgot the whole episode for quite a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment