Friday 21 July 2023

100 Words: An Analogy for the Empire

They never really taught us about empire and no one ever talked about the effects still being felt.  Growing up I only ever heard good things.  The things that were only good for colonists.

While in a rickshaw, I looked forward and watched the man pulling me forward.  Those old, golden days were much like this, I thought - if I’d had a rifle pointed at his head.

Until that moment I had been walking around full of satisfaction, of pride.  It turned to sickness before I stopped the ride, had a brief chat with my driver, and started to learn.



Written for Friday Fictioneers from the following picture prompt (see here for other stories): 


PHOTO PROMPT © Amanda Forestwood

2 comments:

  1. Great story and yes, that's how all of us with colonial/imperialist nation histories should react. Learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May each of us born into privilege have such an epiphany and then act based on the enlightened perception. There are powers tha' be that will do just about anything to prevent such epiphanies. The illusions are what allow their evil to continue. Very evocative story. (Jade Li @ http://tao-talk.com)

    ReplyDelete